Saturday, June 1, 2013

First Week In Kakamega


            Before I left Nairobi for Kisumu, there was a race for charity. When there are races in the states, the roads are closed and there are people watching others run, right? I had absolutely no idea there was a race going on. I couldn’t figure out why some people were wearing similar green t-shirts and running through the streets. I finally figured out it was a race for heart disease—but the roads had not been shut down, so the runners were just running around the cars! I think that’s a liability, but it made the runners more agile!                       
            On the way to the airport, Aga (our driver) was going 110Kilometers an hour while listening to reggae. We nearly hit a whole group of people crossing the road, and at that exact moment, the music said, “life is not a game”. Haha
            I have been in Kakamega since last Saturday, and I am learning all kinds of Kiswahili. I thought I was doing well, until yesterday when I said to my teacher—Pollyne—“I feel like I did better today”. Her only response was… “You sure?” Haha well… I suppose she didn’t think I was doing better. Learning Kiswahili has also gotten me into a significant amount of trouble. Apparently, people here don’t talk about the same subjects as at home. (I realize I tend to talk about odd things, but it isn’t usually offensive.) For example: here, bellybutton is mataco. I thought it would be fun to say, “I like your mataco” You know, I like your bellybutton. I just wanted to see the reaction. Well dear goodness, I got a reaction. Apparently, mataco means not only bellybutton, but also butt. So I told a stranger that I liked her butt. Whew… that was an embarrassing walk home…
            Also, I was watching an inspiring music video and I am still unsure how I am supposed to react to it. Obviously, I reacted with uncontrollable laughter, but I am not sure it was appropriate. Here are the subtitles to the Kiswahili song:
            “Oko come and wipe my tears.
            Am totally rejected.
            My eyes are wet with tears.
            My father is now upset.
            Am totally rejected.
            Am tired of this world.
            My father is now upset.
            Am totally rejected. Am bored and frustrated.
            Oko, come and console me.
            Am totally rejected.”
I realize these lyrics are depressing, but on the video, the actors were smiling and dancing to bongo type beats while the singer was crying. In addition, these were the only lyrics and the song was more than 6 minutes long. So while I felt like a horrible human being, I simply couldn’t resist laughing.  I begin my internship on Monday!
            I texted a friend on my new Airtel phone this morning. Here I can just buy minutes, and after sending the message, it said: “Your call cost 1.00 KES. Dabbing toothpaste on a pimple makes it dry out faster.” I wish my phone at home gave me practical advice every time I sent a message!

No comments:

Post a Comment